Computers and smartphones have revolutionised the way we live, allowing 24/7 access to emails, social media and a world of endless information. We’re better connected and more efficient than ever before but without realising it, we are also suffering from dependency, social isolation and neglecting our mental health.
I started writing Technotox to raise awareness of the control modern technology has on each of our lives. To encourage a more mindful and disciplined approach to our time spent online, and to offer tips for a happier and healthier offline life, with more meaning and fulfilment.
The Advantages of Technology
- Medical advancement and discovery
- A world of information at our fingertips allows easy learning and knowledge building
- Improved communication
- Better connected – allows us to keep in touch with friends and family wherever we are
- Improved productivity
- More cost efficient
The Disadvantages of Technology
- Dependency and addiction. More time online means less time for personal development, exploration and creativity. We are becoming less in tune with our instincts and inner voice
- Decreased creativity now that everything from calculations to drawings can be done online
- Less value in human relationships. A lot of time spent online results in neglect in real life and increased ignorance to the importance of human relationships and interactions
- Increased loneliness and depression caused by social isolation
- Job losses as machines replace human workers
- Technology related diseases through RSI, radiation and stress
Can you think of any others?