Today is the UN’s International Day of Friendship. It’s annually held on 30 July to celebrate friendships worldwide.
To mark the day, the UN encourages governments, organisations, and community groups to hold events, activities and initiatives that promote solidarity, mutual respect and reconciliation. But you too can get involved and spread the message of friendship without any prior planning!
Remember friendship enriches our lives by increasing our sense of belonging and purpose, boosts our happiness and self-esteem, and is a proven antidote to depression. What other reason do you need to show your gratitude for friendship today?
Here are our top 10 ideas:
- Write a “just because” card or letter and post it to a friend
- Plan a future date night
- Make a friend a playlist of your favourite songs and shared memories, then send them the link
- Pick up the phone and call an old friend – we all too heavily rely on whatsapp and texts nowadays, but there’s something so much more satisfying (and human) about actually hearing their voice
- Even better, go knock on their door unannounced and surprise them with a bunch of flowers
- Planning a quiet night in? Instead, invite friends around for a last minute dinner and cook for them
- Pick a favourite book you’ve read, inscribe it with a message and give it to a friend as a gift
- Offer to look after a friend’s kid(s) so they can take a couple of hours to themselves
- Send an unexpected message to a special friend sharing the one thing you love and admire about them the most
- Share or forward this post and help keep the magic of friendship alive!