Do you know the main signs of depression? Could you spot them in others?
- Feelings of inescapable sadness, emptiness or hopelessness
- Loss of interest in life and the simple things
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
- Difficulty sleeping and staying asleep
- Restless and irritable
- Feelings of guilt or worthlessness and low self-esteem
- Fatigue and low energy levels
- Problems concentrating, remembering and making decisions
- Thoughts of suicide and thoughts of death
If you’ve had five or more of these symptoms for two weeks or more, you might be depressed. Make an appointment with your local GP or talk to someone you can trust. You could also call one of the organisations listed here who offer help and support directly.